Tuesday, July 24, 2007

By 2010 will Desktop Operating systems be Relevant

The article on zdnet brings up an interesting debate concerning what will people be using in 2010. I believe the majority of people will still be using their desktops to access the web but the majority of time it will be on web based applications.

It also shows me that the popularity of applications like google docs is also on the rise. The only issue I have with google docs is that the dependency of internet speed which has a real effect on its usefulness.

The iphone type devices will be the key factor in moving people away from desktops.As it matures the majority of work that needs to be actioned can be actioned within an iphone type device. Even now the new generation are saying that email is old school and people communicate through messaging.

Once bluetooth applications that link the iphone devices to keyboards and screens come into play. Then I can see a surge of desktops being replaced. The main issue is really battery life and processing speed but in the end I may not even be thinking of a device that will make it to the market in the next two years.

The company I am working for has two hundred users that are currently using desktops In the next five years I can only see only the following people needing a desktop
1. Cashiers
2. GIS Staff
3. Finance Staff
4. Counter Clerks
5. Research Staff

So I could see more then 160 staff using an iphone type device with bluetooth keyboards and screens. This is on the assumption that they access their work information using browsers on our servers. Of course this wont happen within the next three years but i can see the argument for desktops being phased out by looking at the types of devices that are being created and how they interact with the web and the potential applications that can run on those devices.

I will be recommending my company to move to google type collaboration, messaging and possibility of using 3g applications with iphone type devices once it comes into Fiji. I wonder how many other IT consultants are doing the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home