Friday, February 03, 2006

DVD Review - Super Size Me

The following post is from my mum on the movie Super Size Me

My son picked this video with his usual exciting, everything- going-on action films. I could only watch it halfway through as it made me feel ill! Guilty as well, because I slip in and out of Maccas for a 50 cents icecream, the cheapest hamburger and a free coffee for seniors! Even in Suva, Fiji I go to Maccas - partly because the toilets are clean! And they even give me free coffee there.

Okay, should films be didactic, preachy, or just entertaining? This one just ain't entertaining. It is gross. The guy eats for 30 days at Maccas, stuffs himself and nearly kills himself!

The purpose of the film maker was obviously to examine the health content of the popular takeaway food because 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and two out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Probably the same in Australia also.

Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame? They are smart, they are cunning, they entice our young children with their little gifts! They even have franchises in the Melbourne Children's Hospital I noticed when I visited a kid there!

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth.

Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with simple rules:

He could only eat what was available over the counter (water included! No supersizing unless offered. He had to eat everyone on the menu at least once.If he was offered a super-size, he had to accept it!

Yes, the film was gross, the subject was gross, and it was a wakeup call to all of us who live in a city where there are about six Maccas.

I'm off now to the green-grocers to buy up bags (not plastic) of healthy food that, I hope, has been Australian home-grown!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake Silver said...

I loved "Supersize Me" when I saw it. But also you can eat very healthy at McDonalds too. The scariest part of the movie is the Extra Feauture where the french fries never decompose.

1:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home