Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Goobuntu Googles Microsoft Desktop Threat

Google is preparing its own distribution of Linux for the desktop, in a possible bid to take on Microsoft in its core business - windows desktop software. Google engineers are creating a version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known internally as 'Goobuntu'.

I have been following linux since the late 90's and the biggest factors against linux desktop takeup are:
  • Familiarity and corporate branding
  • Use of Microsoft Office Products especially word and excel
  • Ability to play PC games

In other Google new I have been trying to download the new Google Toolbar beta metioned in the latest google blog. But I still havent any luck. I am really interested in how the customising options can make it easier for me to find my regular sites

A good place to start to learn about the methods China uses to control the content of their public Internet is wikis article Internet Censorship in China

1 Comments:

Blogger George said...

The following article states that goobuntu will only be used internally in Google.

If goobuntu becomes more powerful and will be a signficant threat to microsoft desktop then I predict it will be distributed.

7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home