Thursday, March 10, 2011

Eighty Twenty Rule


The Eight Twenty Rule (80-20, or Pareto principle) is the concept of many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

For me in my experience when actioning a complicated task, its takes around 20% effort to produce 80% of the task and the other 80% of effort to complete it. So the majority of task that are produced are unfinished products as the rest of the time is spent on procrastination activities.




My biggest weakness is that I follow this rule and don't put the extra effort to finish the things that I have started. So when completing tasks, I live with a lot of risk and expect alot of feedback in fixing the unfinished portions.

What has really surprised me by coming back here is the quality of work being produced from government organisations, when people answer serious questions it show that they are just giving standard proforma's with a lot of inaccurate information in it and in some cases not even understanding what the real question was in the beginning.

I really think people are now so busy with other activities that they no longer focus on checking their work. So follow the eighty twenty rule as in the old days you would do a draft, someone would type it, then would be checked by superior, redone and then retyped before being sent.

From my experience the use of IT products, its just one draft and then send it and if something wrong, will change it through email. As long as communication serves its purpose which it normally does.

Its amazing to me how work culture has moved more to the way I have been doing things, which I think is not a good thing


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the lack of checking. Unfortunately your own grammar and punctuation could do with a bit of checking too!

1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home