Monday, February 20, 2006

Black Sports Commentators views of what is an Athletic Event.

Bryant Gumble has just commented on the winter Olympics which is
"Count me among those who don't care about them and won't watch them. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention."


This follows from Jason Whitlocks comments on PTI last year that Lance Amstrong can’t be considered an athlete because he rides a bike and Steven A Smith regular comments. Just a reminder to Gumble that Cross country skiing is one of the most athletic events in sports.

This is a worrying trend that I have seen in the last few years were black sports commentators seem to get away with questionable comments compared to their counterparts. The meme coming from the commentators is that a sports event can’t be athletic if there are not African Americans participating in the event.

Next some of commentators are going to infer the tri-athletes aren’t athletes.

What also bothers me is how only black commentators seem to comment on black issues. It seems that you can comment on what people of other races are doing overseas but not your neighbours.

Another example is the fuss on the number of Black commentators and NFL coaches. What about the number of Asian commentators and coaches. I think a lot of the PC stuff that is happening is infringing on the freedoms of other people.

I was just thinking that if Democratic party moved away from a lot of the PC issues that have “jumped the shark” then they would get more of the middle ground voters.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But then the Democrat would no longer cater to racists and hatemongers.

I think they are happy with what they have. Even if it is killing the party.

1:39 am  
Blogger George said...

Sorry this is a Really disconnect from me. I dont agree that democrats cater to racists and hatemongers.

My experience in communicating and reading about democrats is that they are pro racial tolerance and are against hatemongers

7:14 am  
Blogger jane said...

I wish both parties would move more to the center. Actually, I wish there was a Centrist party.
I can't believe Gumble is getting away with this either. Imagine if Rush Limbaugh had said 'winter sports are better because there are so many caucasians in them.' WHOA! He'd be considered a racist.
About the t.v. commentators, I'll tell you my pet peeve. It is WOMEN sports announcers at football games!!!! My gawd do they piss me off. The ONLY reason they're there is for PC reasons. You can't blame either political party for them being their, just whoever the hell assigned them to those positions. I say, GET THEM OUT OF THERE! (okay, that's my rant for the day) thanks for letting me unload :)

10:24 am  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yeah, you are spot on George. People who say that the Winter Olympians are not 'real' athletes are up a gum tree. The athlete in our family really admires some of those ski champions and says they must be really, really fit to do what they do.
And racist attitudes are racist whoever they come from.

10:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home