Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Anglican Bishop Gene Robinson Alcoholic

Gene Robinson the openly gay Anglican Bishop has checked himself into an alcohol treatment centre on February 1 and would stay there for 28 days

New Hampshire Bishop Gene Robinson, whose ordination in 2003 enraged conservative Anglicans and threatened to break up the Anglican church

"I will be dealing with the disease of alcoholism which for years I have thought of as a failure of will or discipline on my part rather than a disease over which my particular body simply has no control, except to stop drinking altogether," Robinson said in a letter to "Brothers and Sisters in Christ" dated February 13.


Robinson's assistant at the Diocese of New Hampshire, the Rev Tim Rich said on Tuesday that a growing awareness of his problem — rather than a crisis — led to Robinson's decision.

I listened to Rev Tim Rich on the Radio in BBC this afternoon and was amazed at some of his comments. He stated that it was okay for Rev Gene Robinson to be a bishop and be an alcoholic as it is a similar thing for doctors or lawyers who are alcoholics.

I dont get it I wouldnt want my a lawyer to be an alchoholic and especially my doctor be inebriated when diagnosing me.

When are the lines going to stop moving for certain positions of trust. I have already posted my views of gay preachers and I cant see how this incident is good for the Anglican Church and the people that supported Gene Robinson

1 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I feel pity for any man or woman who cannot control their lives because of alcohol. A friend of ours, a Uniting Church minister, maybe not now, was traumatised by a road accident and then started drinking and was even a counsellor at a alcohol and drug rehab, then he succumbed again. A nice man, marriage broken, and now no job. As for the American bishop, do we know what stresses other people have? Though he should take leave from his bishop job for a while! As for his gayness, I don't think he can help it, but most congregations I am familiar with would be quite uncomfortable with a gay minister. I don't take Bible texts out to shout about, I would just ask - what would Jesus say and do about people like this?
W.

9:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home