Monday, December 26, 2005

My Christmas Holiday Experience

My rant on holiday names and wanting to blog must have effected my karma. As the ATM machine swallowed my ATM card and I only had twenty dollar to last four days which is when the banks were to open. I had no reserves as I am in the process of applying for a credit card and don’t leave money in the house as we have to much family staying there.

I suppose it was a test for me as I am saying that I am about give up a salary that would be in the top 1% in Fiji to try live off a Blog with minimal income

So far I have failed as living off two minute noodles, bread and tea is not fun. Luckily for Christmas my wife’s sister lent us some money and we were having Christmas together. My sister in laws husband is currently working in Iraq as security

Number one priority was getting batteries for the kids presents. Two radio controlled cars cost $40 but the batteries cost around $20. Have to love the cost of chinese goods. We ended up racing the cars in empty carpark at our main supermarket.

Our Christmas dinner ended up being Fish, Duruka with lolo, curry, cassava, pineapple, watermelon, salad and for desert it was ice cream, cake and peaches. It was one of those time that when you pray for the food you realise how lucky you are compared to others who are struggling at this point in time.

I have a theory that Christmas dinner has lost it importance as before when people struggled for food Christmas dinner was one of the main meals of the year compared to now where you can really eat what you want when you want.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Your Christmas lunch made me sooo hungry. The last time I tasted duruka in lolo must have been over 30 years ago. It was at a friend's house in Richards Road in Suva and I can still remember the taste now. Where I live now I don't imagine I'll ever taste it again!

8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home