Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Increase Website Performance

As I have I am interested in website design again I was looking at ways to increase website performance. The best information I found was best practices for speeding up website at yahoo

The main factors of increase website performance are
  1. Minimize HTTP Requests
  2. Use a Content Delivery Network
  3. Add an Expires or a Cache-Control Header
  4. Gzip Components
  5. Put Stylesheets at the Top
  6. Put Scripts at the Bottom
  7. Avoid CSS Expressions
  8. Make JavaScript and CSS External
  9. Reduce DNS Lookups
  10. Minify JavaScript and CSS
  11. Avoid Redirects
  12. Remove Duplicate Scripts
  13. Configure ETags
  14. Make Ajax Cacheable
  15. Use GET for AJAX Requests
  16. Post-load Components
  17. tag: content
  18. Preload Components
  19. Reduce the Number of DOM Elements
  20. Split Components Across Domains
  21. No 404s
  22. tag: content
  23. Reduce Cookie Size
  24. Use Cookie-free Domains for Components
  25. Minimize DOM Access
  26. Develop Smart Event Handlers
  27. Choose link over @import
  28. Avoid Filters
  29. Optimize Images
  30. Optimize CSS Sprites
  31. Don't Scale Images in HTML
  32. Make favicon.ico Small and Cacheable
  33. Keep Components under 25K
  34. Pack Components into a Multipart Document

The amazing thing for me is I thought I could be considered a website developer but I don't understand half the factors I have listed above in improving website performance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home