Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Eight Myths About Video Games Debunked

In the link below debunks eight popular myths about videogames and I have put my take on the myths which are.

1. The availability of video games has led to an epidemic of youth violence.

I disagree that it is an epidemic but it does have a factor on some youth violence


2. Scientific evidence links violent game play with youth aggression.

My kids are more agressive after watching wrestling then playing video games. Video games can change moods so if some of the mood changing behaviour is agression then there must be some evidence





3. Children are the primary market for video games.

I think the primary market has changed as people like myself who started on pong tabletops are still interested in video games







4. Almost no girls play computer games.

This has changed significantly where a girls do play. Still the majority of players are males. I would guess there is a significant number of players in the internet who pretend they are girls


5. Because games are used to train soldiers to kill, they have the same impact on the kids who play them.

Cant see this, but I know that it can change kids moral compass and dissentize them to violence, stealing and lying


6. Video games are not a meaningful form of expression.

I dont understand this myth

7. Video game play is socially isolating.

I disagree I have my two kids and neighbours join up in networked games in my house. It is actually brought them together when before my two kids just played with themselves

8. Video game play is desensitizing.

I agree based on my experiecne and saw what has happened to my kids. I think the more realistic games have more effect eg GTA St Andreas



Read More at Eight Myths About Video Games Debunked

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home