Wednesday, March 30, 2011

should I resign from my job

I have been out of work for now nearly three months now, as I am not allowed to work here until my application is processed. But found an interesting article on why should I resign from my job.

I was working continuously for nearly 20 years and found my job very stressful but exciting. I consider myself privileged to be able to do the work I did and was continuously learning throughout my career. Its never been about the money for me but value I brought to society was the main goal of the job I was doing. I also had attitude to work hard and party hard until my kids got older.

Main comment about work is that you are giving up a major part of your life for the benefits of the job and that will usually be the most important cost benefit analysis that you will ever do in your life.

Below are some factors in answering the question should I resign from my job.


You Aren't Learning Anything New
Yes, you want to know how to do most of your job. But there are also things you want to be learning; otherwise you are not growing professionally. If you have stopped learning at work, it's time to find a job where you will learn new skills and grow professionally.

You Never Have a Day When You Wake Up Excited To Go To Work
If you wake up every morning Monday through Friday and never feel excited to go to work, that is a problem. It means you aren't enjoying your job and it is diminishing your quality of life. If you wake up every day and dread going to work, it's time to consider quitting your job.

The Company Isn't Doing Well
This sign varies from company to company. You must keep in mind that we are in a recession and if sales are down but the company isn't in jeopardy, this sign may not apply to you. However, if business is down to the point where it looks like the company is going to go under, start looking for a new job.

You are Stressed All the Time
You are supposed to enjoy life, not be stressed out all the time. If you spend most of your days stressed about everything that going on at work, you are not at the right job. But actually I like the stress of job as it part of a challenging job. Depends if that job

You don't have enough funds to do what you want to do.
A significant number of people don't like the experiences of work so use work as means to fund their other activities outside of work. So if you are not able to fund those other activities it may either be a sign to reduce your expectations to something more affordable or get another job to be able to financially meet those expectations

You job takes a lot of quality time from your family
My experiences with my children are some of best eperiences in my life and currently I can't work and my kids can't go to school. So I feel I am actually lucky in being able to spend so much time with them compared to the last ten years in which we would only really interact on weekends. Really there is only certain window of time that you can be with your kids before you lose that opportunity due to peer pressure and other factors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home