Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Parents Day

Today was parents day for my two boys. I took today and tommorow off as I am feeling a bit burnt at work. So we made a day of it by first making some ice coffee and putting in old juice bottles to take with us. I suggest dont make ice coffee with chocalate ice cream.

Jordan is in a class of around 50 and andrew is in a classs of around 40. Interesting when other parents were talking to the teaches they spend more then ten minutes but with me it was less then 3 minutes.

So how are my kids doing, I think jordan is just above average and the same with Andrew. jordan really improved his mathmatics score and Andrew got perfect score for phonics so that was pretty cool. If I was a good parent I would be reading with them every day, but reading with my kids has to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever done.

My kids are well behaved which is what I suspect because they respect their teachers. I am now heavily involved with the parents association where for jordans class we are putting in a ceiling fan because its not a good learning environment with fifty boys in a class room and no fan. In Andrews class we will be doing a working bee and making some bookshelfs which will be interesting.

In terms of learning, my philosophy is really for my kids to be happy and try and foster an environment where they are interested to learn. In terms of results I am more interested that the kids continue to improve and learn. The majority of my mothers family were duxes in australia where majority of my fathers family didnt finish school. So I am a bit ambivialent with the kids school results. What matters to me though is to have tools necessary to go through university and acquire knowledge as in my experience that is one of the best things in life.

So after the meeting with the teacher, me and the kids had to kill a few hours before we had lunch with my wife. So we went around looking for empty video arcades. I ended up buying copies of Age of Empires 3 and Madden 2006. We also played Counter Strike, Quake 4 and WWE Smackdown. Quake 4's graphics is pretty cool and I was starting to get the hang of wrestling moves in WWE smackdown.

I havent played video games for a long time because I am more interested in doing stuff in the internet. Played Age of Empire 3 for a few hours and it was a disappointment.

In the end it was pretty good day, kids are doing okay in school and I need some time to get my motivation back, I probably need a review with my boss to get me back in gear which is stupid as I used to be self motivated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

You need a holiday!
I guess you didn't tackle the teacher about the time she/he smacked five kids for being late for school!
What no ceiling fan, and 50 sweaty young boys!
Kids should enjoy life, learn respect for elders and each other, be exposed to lots of experiences that don't cost money, swim, play sports, plant gardens.
I do sound like a mad gran I suppose.
W.

11:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Issue of Andrews teacher smacking kids for being late has been resolved. She apoligised to us in one of the parents meetings.

It got handled the fijian way with no confrontation but dialogue and people knowing in the end what was the expectations of us which is probably different to previous parents.

We are also lucky that the president of our class's parents is also a master in Teachers College

Kids are stressing me out more then work though and I have got family coming for a funeral.

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home