Sunday, April 17, 2011

easter 2011

This year I have been to church more times then I have been in the last twenty so I am posting about easter 2011.

Easter 2011 Easter is the central feast in the Christian year. According to the gospels, Jesus rose from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion. Christians typically celebrate this resurrection on Easter Day or Easter Sunday (also Resurrection Day or Resurrection Sunday) on the 24th April 2011, two days after Good Friday and three days after Maundy Thursday.

In todays sermon is the first time I actually remember hearing about maundry thursday and we will be celebrating it this thursday night. Then on good friday we will be attending service then getting up at 6:30 in morning for a morning service on Easter Sunday.

I think today was the first time I really understand the meaning of the Easter for a long time. Usually we have been celebrating its as extra days of holidays and in my previous work it was time when I could run a process in which I needed a long weekend to work on. So this will really be the first time in over ten years where I am having a real break over easter.

Here we also celebrate Anzac Day which reminds me of an old war war one veteran I used to do jobs for when I was young. He had bad lung problem due to the effects of mustard gas.

My uncle also died in the Solomons in world war 2 and the story was him and his partner had to hold off the japanese while the rest of his team had to escape. Fijians are well known soldiers and I have a lot of family either with British Army, UN or contracted privately in the Middle East. So we also will think of them during Easter.

Easter 2011 is just a holiday for many with an emphasis on chocolate but for me this year with all the mess that is happening around the world it has more meaning in the solemn Christian celebration of god sacrificing his son for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home